Federal Firearms License

I get asked questions a lot about the different types of federal firearms license and what you need to get a specific weapon or make some money transferring weapons.  It has occurred to me that I know of the intricate details, but the average person starting out may not be up to date on the different types of federal firearms license.

The definition of is:  Federal Firearms License. N. A license issued by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives that allows an individual or business to manufacture or sell firearms and ammunition.

Simply put, if you want to have a business (even one from home or over the internet) you will need to jump through some hoops to get your license.  It is not difficult, but one mistake on the forms, during the interview, or with the fingerprinting and pictures can get your license denied.

In order to get your federal firearms license, you will need to fill out a form 7, a compliance form, get 2 sets of fingerprints and pictures, and get a local LEO to sign off on your application.  The forms are not terribly difficult, but one mistake can ruin your chances, that’s why I suggest getting some help.

For a small fee, you can get all the help you will need to correctly fill out the forms and make sure you have the best chance of success.

Brandon can walk you through all of the potential snags when applying such as:

  • local zoning laws
  • home owners associations
  • interview questions
  • paperwork problems
  • local law enforcement officers
  • actual paperwork visuals

I can tell you that the local laws (ie HOAs, zoning laws, and the like) are usually the most difficult part of the process.  For some reason, some people think that if you have a federal firearms license from your home, you will have drug dealers and gang bangers knocking at your door at 3:00 AM.  What’s really funny is that there is probably already someone near you that has a license that could be of some help.

The local law enforcement officers are sometimes another hurdle to jump over and can sometimes be quite difficult.  With Brandon’s help, you can learn how to work with the  local LEOs to get your fingerprints and a signature easily and quickly – maybe even picking up a client along the way!

You will need to pay a 200.00 tax when you apply that is good for the first 3 years of your license.  After that it is required to be payed every year.

The federal firearms license is the basic license that will let you sell firearms and ammunition, but there are several other types of licenses that you can get for specific purposes.  Visit our Types of Federal Firearms License page to find out more.

You can also find more information on our home page Class 3 Weapons License.